Being pj fleck

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Being pj fleck

Post by ging on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:25 pm

I'm enjoying "being pj fleck" so far. But man do I get wore out just watching this guy.
avatar
ging
Douche
Douche

Posts : 2248
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 49
Location : Sterling, IL

Back to top Go down

Re: Being pj fleck

Post by Head Skin on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:43 pm

I haven't been able to watch. I think he blocked me from ESPN.
avatar
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Posts : 8562
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 100
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Re: Being pj fleck

Post by ging on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:58 pm

and I had no idea that kaneland hs did not qualify for the ihsa football playoffs until 1995. Shocked
avatar
ging
Douche
Douche

Posts : 2248
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 49
Location : Sterling, IL

Back to top Go down

Re: Being pj fleck

Post by Head Skin on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:57 pm

I will say this- having worked at a school that had 36 kids in the entire school, I always enjoy it when someone calls a school like Kaneland a small, rural, farm school.
avatar
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Posts : 8562
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 100
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Re: Being pj fleck

Post by tincup1215 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Kaneland is very spread out, I think we have the 2nd largest square mileage in Illinois after Standford Olympia. I live on the very north west end of the district and my school is at the very south east end, takes 30-35 minutes to get there going 60 most of the way.

Kaneville, Virgil, and Maple Park are all small towns, each with 500, 600, and 1,100 people. Elburn has grown a lot in recent years and is at 5,000 while Sugar Grove continues to grow and is around 8,000 I think.

In the 90s when PJ was here, it definitely had a much more small town rural feel to it, but we still had around 600 kids in the building.

We still have kids who miss a football practice to show their pigs and such
avatar
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Posts : 1204
Join date : 2008-09-28
Location : The Burn

Back to top Go down

Re: Being pj fleck

Post by center on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:44 pm

ging wrote:and I had no idea that kaneland hs did not qualify for the ihsa football playoffs until 1995. Shocked

Fleck's high school coach, Joe Thorgeson, spoke at the Byron clinic years ago. He said they missed the playoffs his first 14 years as a HC! including a couple of 0-9. Fleck's class came along (along with a lot of other good ones) and they made it his final 12 years before he retired. Including the 2 state titles.


center
Bee-otch

Posts : 310
Join date : 2009-11-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Being pj fleck

Post by Head Skin on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:28 pm

center wrote:
ging wrote:and I had no idea that kaneland hs did not qualify for the ihsa football playoffs until 1995. Shocked

Fleck's high school coach, Joe Thorgeson, spoke at the Byron clinic years ago. He said they missed the playoffs his first 14 years as a HC!  including a couple of 0-9.

That stat should indicate how different the coaching profession is today from years past.
avatar
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Posts : 8562
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 100
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Re: Being pj fleck

Post by net on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Head Skin wrote:I haven't been able to watch.  I think he blocked me from ESPN.

damn! he has it in for you.
avatar
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 4509
Join date : 2009-11-08
Age : 52
Location : in the patch

Back to top Go down

Re: Being pj fleck

Post by net on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:24 pm

tincup1215 wrote:Virgil

i've traveled the state quite a bit in my almost 53 years of age and never knew we had a town named 'virgil'.
avatar
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 4509
Join date : 2009-11-08
Age : 52
Location : in the patch

Back to top Go down

Re: Being pj fleck

Post by tincup1215 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:12 pm

net wrote:
tincup1215 wrote:Virgil

i've traveled the state quite a bit in my almost 53 years of age and never knew we had a town named 'virgil'.
We also have Troxel in our district, population is 17, give or take a few
avatar
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Posts : 1204
Join date : 2008-09-28
Location : The Burn

Back to top Go down

Re: Being pj fleck

Post by net on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:19 pm

tincup1215 wrote:
net wrote:
tincup1215 wrote:Virgil

i've traveled the state quite a bit in my almost 53 years of age and never knew we had a town named 'virgil'.
We also have Troxel in our district, population is 17, give or take a few

is this a private vaulting community that you've established?
avatar
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 4509
Join date : 2009-11-08
Age : 52
Location : in the patch

Back to top Go down

Re: Being pj fleck

Post by OSUBucks on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:29 pm

Head Skin wrote:
center wrote:
ging wrote:and I had no idea that kaneland hs did not qualify for the ihsa football playoffs until 1995. Shocked

Fleck's high school coach, Joe Thorgeson, spoke at the Byron clinic years ago. He said they missed the playoffs his first 14 years as a HC!  including a couple of 0-9.

That stat should indicate how different the coaching profession is today from years past.

You aren't kidding, now you see guys with winning records getting canned.
avatar
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3081
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Being pj fleck

Post by Head Skin on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:50 pm

tincup1215 wrote:
net wrote:
tincup1215 wrote:Virgil

i've traveled the state quite a bit in my almost 53 years of age and never knew we had a town named 'virgil'.
We also have Troxel in our district, population is 17, give or take a few
The mayor of Clinton used to be Carl Troxel. I'm sure this town is named after him...
Very Happy
avatar
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Posts : 8562
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 100
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Re: Being pj fleck

Post by OldTitan on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:15 am

In 1998, we gave Kaneland a run for their money in the second round. Fleck was absolutely the difference maker in that game. We cut the lead and had big mo when he took a screen or slant the distance to put us away.

I believe a lot of Kaneland's early struggles were in part due to a really tough conference they were in, but I may be remembering incorrectly.

I have some friends who live in that district and it is amazing how many half filled subdivisions there are. The community got kind of caught by the housing bubble it looks like to me.
avatar
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Posts : 1789
Join date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Being pj fleck

Post by Head Skin on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:57 pm

OSUBucks wrote:
Head Skin wrote:
center wrote:
ging wrote:and I had no idea that kaneland hs did not qualify for the ihsa football playoffs until 1995. Shocked

Fleck's high school coach, Joe Thorgeson, spoke at the Byron clinic years ago. He said they missed the playoffs his first 14 years as a HC!  including a couple of 0-9.

That stat should indicate how different the coaching profession is today from years past.

You aren't kidding, now you see guys with winning records getting canned.
This response triggered a funny story from my CGB days. 2011, 12, 13 we won 24 straight regular season games.  Lost 1st round in 11, 2nd in 12 and quarters in 13.  Went 27-5 over 3 years.  Great kids, great run.  Start 2014 we lose week 1 on the road in OT by 1 when we miss the extra point and they make it.  Go on the road Week 2 again and lose by 2 in Pawnee on Sat night after our Friday game was postponed.  Both teams go to the playoffs.  Pawnee ended up 8-1, Tri County I think 7-2.  Anyway, immediately after the Pawnee game- like as we're walking off the field- a group of parents and fans approach our Principal and begin asking him if he thought I had any idea of what I was doing.  They didn't think I did and thought I should be canned.  

27-5, 3 straight playoffs, beat a state champion, quarterfinal appearance.  I didn't know what I was doing.  Luckily, that guy laughed at them.  But, he left at the end of that year...
avatar
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Posts : 8562
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 100
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Re: Being pj fleck

Post by wilky on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:20 am

OldTitan wrote:In 1998, we gave Kaneland a run for their money in the second round. Fleck was absolutely the difference maker in that game. We cut the lead and had big mo when he took a screen or slant the distance to put us away.

I believe a lot of Kaneland's early struggles were in part due to a really tough conference they were in, but I may be remembering incorrectly.

I have some friends who live in that district and it is amazing how many half filled subdivisions there are. The community got kind of caught by the housing bubble it looks like to me.

I am going back aways here but iirc kaneland beat morris 1 or both of those years and I think it was the first time kaneland had beaten morris in a string of games that was a lot. I can remember the disbelief, but also the thought of, that is a good team but that player is great.

wilky
Dr. Douche

Posts : 1678
Join date : 2008-09-23
Location : United States

Back to top Go down

Re: Being pj fleck

Post by tincup1215 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:27 am

First year was in 82 with Beebe. In 97 we won 14-7, with Morris scoring on a 97 yard interception. 98 I believe we were in separate divisions of the old Suburban Prairie conference and didn't play
avatar
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Posts : 1204
Join date : 2008-09-28
Location : The Burn

Back to top Go down

Re: Being pj fleck

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum