cru - what do you know about LU-Belleville?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

cru - what do you know about LU-Belleville?

Post by ging on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:38 pm

cru,

as the board's resident expert of all things metro-east, what can you tell me about LU-Belleville? what sort of rep does it have in the local community?
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Re: cru - what do you know about LU-Belleville?

Post by Head Skin on Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:35 pm

I know they offer partial scholarships to people that have no business playing at that level without consulting their coaches in hopes of getting them to pay for the rest of the schooling and that they have maybe the ugliest football turf known to man.

You're welcome.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:22 am

Next to the Scott Air Base, it's Belleville's biggest econ driver. It's ion the west end of town - not the best place to live. It's buying up land around it's campus - the old Belleville West.

I do not know much more about it - it came after I left.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:30 pm

ging wrote:cru,

as the board's resident expert of all things metro-east, what can you tell me about LU-Belleville?  what sort of rep does it have in the local community?

Don't know anything about their Belleville campus. However, I do know a little about their primary campus in St. Charles, MO.  

My daughter was considering Lindenwood when we were looking at colleges around two years ago, and we paid them a visit.  Looked to me like an institution with two very different eras. One of them was up until about 1990, and the other was from then on.  Literally, there are strikingly different old and new sections of their St. Charles campus.  The old section looks traditional and nice enough, but kind of smallish and quaint.  The new section has about 18-20 modern large buildings on lots of land that also contains athletic fields, courts, etc.  Their capital expenditures on just new construction and campus infrastructure in the past 20 years or so must be close to $300 million give or take $50MM.  Pretty impressive for an institution that was bankrupt and near closing in the late 80s.

I remember walking into their admissions office, sitting down, and feeling like I was in a new car showroom.  No, there weren't cars, but there were definitely salespeople/admissions counselors who would sit with you at their cubicles and crunch numbers.  I recall they had a very low base tuition relative to most private universities we looked at.  Almost made me wonder if it was too good to be true.

At the time, I also remember looking for their ranking in the USN&WR Best Colleges rankings, and they were unranked.  Your email caused me to look them up again, and they are still unranked.  Again, kinda makes me go hmmm...

Athletically, they are a pretty competitive DII program overall.  I think a big part of that is because they have a very big undergrad enrollment (around 8000 as I recall) relative to the average DII institution.
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:32 pm

ramblinman wrote:
ging wrote:cru,

as the board's resident expert of all things metro-east, what can you tell me about LU-Belleville?  what sort of rep does it have in the local community?

Don't know anything about their Belleville campus.  However, I do know a little about their primary campus in St. Charles, MO.  

My daughter was considering Lindenwood when we were looking at colleges around two years ago, and we paid them a visit.  Looked to me like an institution with two very different eras. One of them was up until about 1990, and the other was from then on.  Literally, there are strikingly different old and new sections of their St. Charles campus.  The old section looks traditional and nice enough, but kind of smallish and quaint.  The new section has about 18-20 modern large buildings on lots of land that also contains athletic fields, courts, etc.  Their capital expenditures on just new construction and campus infrastructure in the past 20 years or so must be close to $300 million give or take $50MM.  Pretty impressive for an institution that was bankrupt and near closing in the late 80s.

I remember walking into their admissions office, sitting down, and feeling like I was in a new car showroom.  No, there weren't cars, but there were definitely salespeople/admissions counselors who would sit with you at their cubicles and crunch numbers.  I recall they had a very low base tuition relative to most private universities we looked at.  Almost made me wonder if it was too good to be true.

At the time, I also remember looking for their ranking in the USN&WR Best Colleges rankings, and they were unranked.  Your email caused me to look them up again, and they are still unranked.  Again, kinda makes me go hmmm...

Athletically, they are a pretty competitive DII program overall.  I think a big part of that is because they have a very big undergrad enrollment (around 8000 as I recall) relative to the average DII institution.

location, location, location. verrrrrrrrrrrrry uppity community.

net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:20 pm

St. Charles community, or Belleville community?

Or both?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:36 am

if you'd been to either place, you'd know that answer. st. charles.
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top