Bears Signings

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bears Signings

Post by OSUBucks on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:05 pm

The big signing was signing Mike Glennon to take over for Cutler and today they signed Mark Sanchez to a one year deal as the backup QB. Other off season signings were WR Markus Wheaton, CB Prince Amukamara and TE Dion Sims. I think Glennon is better than some people think and it's good that the Bears don't have a multi year commitment. I still wish they had kept Alshon Jeffery though.
Does anyone see a return to respectability next year?
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Re: Bears Signings

Post by Head Skin on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:11 pm

No.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:19 pm

nope.
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexFB on Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:32 am

Naw
TexFB
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by 4a(6afornet)north on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:18 am

add me to the nay list
4a(6afornet)north
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:24 pm

OSUBucks wrote:The big signing was signing Mike Glennon to take over for Cutler and today they signed Mark Sanchez to a one year deal as the backup QB. Other off season signings were WR Markus Wheaton, CB Prince Amukamara and TE Dion Sims. I think Glennon is better than some people think and it's good that the Bears don't have a multi year commitment. I still wish they had kept Alshon Jeffery though.

i wish they'd kept jeffery too. now the skins have to see him twice this year. Rolling Eyes
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 4a(6afornet)north on Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:32 am

net wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:The big signing was signing Mike Glennon to take over for Cutler and today they signed Mark Sanchez to a one year deal as the backup QB. Other off season signings were WR Markus Wheaton, CB Prince Amukamara and TE Dion Sims. I think Glennon is better than some people think and it's good that the Bears don't have a multi year commitment. I still wish they had kept Alshon Jeffery though.

i wish they'd kept jeffery too. now the skins have to see him twice this year. Rolling Eyes

Maybe,he only plays half of the time
4a(6afornet)north
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:26 pm

I'm a little discouraged that more wasn't shown last year. In previous jobs, Fox's teams made drastic improvement in year 2, strictly in terms of the win/loss record anyway.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:55 pm

Arlington Ale House is the best thing the McCaskeys have going these days.
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20170327/entlife/170329002/

crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Fox's career NFL record before coming to Chicago was 119-89 coaching for Carolina and Denver. He won 1 NFC Championship at Carolina and won 1 AFC Championship at Denver.
He is 9-23 in two seasons at Chicago.
My thinking is as long as the Bears are owned by the McKaskey family they won't win with any consistency. This could very well be Fox's last year unless they really rebound. If I was Fox I'd keep Vic Fangio as DC but replace the OC Dowell Loggains.
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:06 pm

wolverine55 wrote:I'm a little discouraged that more wasn't shown last year.  In previous jobs, Fox's teams made drastic improvement in year 2, strictly in terms of the win/loss record anyway.
Their roster was even worse last year. And injuries decimated what little positives there were.

I don't think Vince Lombardi could have done much more with that roster than Fox did.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:30 am

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily blaming him, I think he's a good coach, but it was a little discouraging based on his track record that the year 2 turnaround didn't happen.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:57 am

I think this is probably the worst situation he's been put into.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:07 am

Naw they Suck
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:19 am

And I say this as a waning Bears fan- That franchise is getting exactly what they deserve for firing Lovie Smith and putting all their eggs in Jay Cutler's basket.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:54 am

Head Idiot wrote:And I say this as a waning Bears fan- That franchise is getting exactly what they deserve for firing Lovie Smith and putting all their eggs in Jay Cutler's basket.

Die hard Bears fan all my life...and I kinda agree.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:10 pm

lefty120 wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:And I say this as a waning Bears fan- That franchise is getting exactly what they deserve for firing Lovie Smith and putting all their eggs in Jay Cutler's basket.

Die hard Bears fan all my life...and I kinda agree.  
I've been a Bears fan since I first started paying attention to football- around 8, and they've become a really hard team to like. Terrible front office decisions, get rid of the best coach in franchise history outside maybe Pappa Bear himself, very unlikable stars- Urlacher, Cutler, Jeffrey, Brandon Marshall, Lance Briggs, etc. There just isn't much that makes me watch or care anymore.

I actually seem to watch more Patriots or Broncos games honestly. Hell, at this point I'm more interested in the Packers.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:04 pm

The Bears seem to be determined to give the Browns a run for their money as the laughingstock of the NFL. They recently signed QB Mike Glennon to a 3 year deal for $18 million and draft another QB, Mitch Trubisky with their 1st round pick. The 49ers really put one over on the Bears. The Bears already had the #3 pick and Trubisky would have been there then but they gave the 49ers several picks to move up one position. I think there are several QB's in the draft better than Trubisky anyway. The Bears should have gone with defense, they really need help there. There were any number of players who could have provided immediate help.
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:17 pm

I thought I would be back to being a pretty big time Bears fan with Cutler leaving town. This draft pick makes me want to just start buying Patriots stuff now.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:54 pm

The pick I don't mind actually, although I'm a bigger fan of Watson. The need to trade up, like many, is what I don't understand.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:30 pm

Another team was looking to trade with the Niners for their 2nd pick and take Trubisky. He was obviously the guy they were dead set on. I'm not saying I like it because I don't; a team with so many needs giving up middle round picks is bad news.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:45 pm

lefty120 wrote:Another team was looking to trade with the Niners for their 2nd pick and take Trubisky. He was obviously the guy they were dead set on. I'm not saying I like it because I don't; a team with so many needs giving up middle round picks is bad news.

If I'm the Bears I would have considered trading their #3 overall pick to another team for a lower 1st rounder plus their 2nd if I could get it. There were several top 10 quality defensive guys who fell towards the end of the 1st round. The Bears could have played things differently and given themselves a couple upgrades on the D. Jon Allen, the D Lineman from Alabama is going to have a big career. I was hoping that the Bears would snag him or Solomon Thomas, who I really like too.
I am a big Deshaun Watson fan. That kid from Texas Tech, Mahomes, I'd take before Trubisky too.
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:26 am

I like the Trubisky pick.

The Bears have not selected a QB in the 1st Round since 2003. And prior to Trubisky, you have to go back to Jim McMahon to find a QB drafted by the Bears that high. In fact, the last time the Bears selected a QB at #2 was 1951. And before that? Sid Luckman in 1939.

I don't know if Trubisky can play. But I do know that if you look around the league at the top QBs, they are typically not guys who get drafted late. Of course, people always point to Tom Brady being a 6th rounder. Well, the reason it is such a big deal is because it simply doesn't happen that often.

Here's the guys who are probably the upper-echelon of NFL QBs. With the exception of Brady, these guys were all chosen in the 1st round or early in the 2nd Round. And there have been plenty of guys drafted in the 1st Round who were bums and couldn't play.

Drew Brees - 32nd overall pick (Round 2)
Ben Roethlisberger - 11th overall pick
Aaron Rogers - 24th overall pick
Eli Manning - 1st overall pick
Philip Rivers - 4th overall pick
Matt Ryan - 3rd overall pick
Matthew Stafford - 1st overall pick

The Bears have not seriously invested in the QB position for too long and I think that largely explains their poor fortunes. I don't know if Trubisky is the answer but I also know that they need to try something different in the draft because what they have been doing simply doesn't work.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Horsefeather on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:01 am

When they originally moved up to select Trubisky, I was not a fan of the pick or the process to get him. I don't know that I am yet. But, I also respect the balls it took for Pace to make the trade & pick. Whether he pans out or not will be determined, but Pace obviously wanted him badly. But it is weird that the Bears were not one of the teams showing heavy interest in him pre-draft. And, like most here, I would have preferred Watson.

The Bears have been so bad at QB for so long... like lifetimes long... Pace has done everything he can to solidify the position. But, he also basically signaled to Glennon that he's a 2-3 year rental til Trubisky is ready. He's also showing Bears fans that it's going to be another couple years in a rebuild until respectability may be earned again. But in the NFL, the QB is more important than ever. It's the lynchpin position. We'll see how it all comes together (or crumbles).
Horsefeather
Bee-otch

http://djsautosandcards.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:04 am

Actually, the way Glennon's contract is structured, he may only be a one-year rental.  I read somewhere that the Bears' cap it is negligible if they decide to cut Glennon after just one year.  That's one of the reasons his salary for 2017 alone is fairly high. Once I got over the shock value of the move they made, I actually don't mind it at all. I find their decision to not draft any defensive help with the second round pick more baffling, to be honest.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top