eliminating contact in junior high football

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

eliminating contact in junior high football

Post by 19delta on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:04 pm

Our BOE voted to discontinue tackle football for 7th and 8th grade. Instead, our junior high kids are going to lift weights during the week and then play 7 on 7 or flag football on Saturday.

http://www.saukvalley.com/2017/03/15/eastland-junior-high-football-going-no-tackle/a713g75/
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Re: eliminating contact in junior high football

Post by wolverine55 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:24 pm

Personally, I don't think this is a bad thing. Our middle school kids have tackle for 7th and 8th grade, but play flag up until that point, or at least that's what we encourage. They do have access to a tackle league in a neighboring town.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:27 pm

wolverine55 wrote:Personally, I don't think this is a bad thing.  Our middle school kids have tackle for 7th and 8th grade, but play flag up until that point, or at least that's what we encourage.  They do have access to a tackle league in a neighboring town.

If you would have seen some of our JH practices and games the last few years, you would change your mind.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:45 pm

Because you guys run it so well? Not questioning or sarcastic, just a little unclear on your meaning.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:19 pm

19delta wrote:
wolverine55 wrote:Personally, I don't think this is a bad thing.  Our middle school kids have tackle for 7th and 8th grade, but play flag up until that point, or at least that's what we encourage.  They do have access to a tackle league in a neighboring town.

If you would have seen some of our JH practices and games the last few years, you would change your mind.

could you elaborate before i comment. you're being very vague.
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:18 pm

wolverine55 wrote:Because you guys run it so well?  Not questioning or sarcastic, just a little unclear on your meaning.

No. The program has been run poorly. We are going to be ultimately better off without it.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:20 pm

net wrote:
19delta wrote:

could you elaborate before i comment. you're being very vague.

Apologies for the vagueness. Program is not good. We will be better off without junior high tackle football, at least the way it has been run here. Getting rid of it is the right thing to do.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:58 pm

i'm glad i asked. i really didn't know which way you were leaning.

i just told a teacher this week that i don't mind coaching kids who've never played jfl. it's easier to teach technique that you want than break the bad habits of a player that has 2 or 3 years of those bad habits.
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Oh, okay, maybe I was unclear then as well: I was meaning to say that, while our school does offer tackle football for 7th and 8th graders, ultimately I do not think eliminating tackle football for this age group is a bad idea. Get kids out, get kids to have fun but also remain healthy, and maybe numbers will increase at the high school level.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:48 am

net wrote:i'm glad i asked. i really didn't know which way you were leaning.

i just told a teacher this week that i don't mind coaching kids who've never played jfl. it's easier to teach technique that you want than break the bad habits of a player that has 2 or 3 years of those bad habits.

John O'Boyle, the winningest high school football coach in Illinois up until about 10 years ago or so, fought to keep junior high football out of Stockton. His opinion was the same as yours...that basically he preferred kids who had never played before over kids who had learned the game from someone else.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:58 am

wolverine55 wrote:Oh, okay, maybe I was unclear then as well:  I was meaning to say that, while our school does offer tackle football for 7th and 8th graders, ultimately I do not think eliminating tackle football for this age group is a bad idea.  Get kids out, get kids to have fun but also remain healthy, and maybe numbers will increase at the high school level.

I think that is the idea.

I also think that we are a head of the curve on this. My understanding is that several other schools have contacted us and are interested in doing something similar so it is not inconceivable that within a couple years, this is what youth football will look like, at least up here in NW Illinois.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by center on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 am

19delta wrote:
wolverine55 wrote:Oh, okay, maybe I was unclear then as well:  I was meaning to say that, while our school does offer tackle football for 7th and 8th graders, ultimately I do not think eliminating tackle football for this age group is a bad idea.  Get kids out, get kids to have fun but also remain healthy, and maybe numbers will increase at the high school level.

I also think that we are a head of the curve on this. My understanding is that several other schools have contacted us and are interested in doing something similar so it is not inconceivable that within a couple years, this is what youth football will look like, at least up here in NW Illinois.
There will be a lot of schools taking a look at this set up and seeing how it works.  I can tell you it has the interest of some in our community. 

f you have some success with it you will see it all over the place.  if it doesn't make an impact at least you tried something.

Even if this does work , I can see the NUIC eventually moving at least a portion of the schools to an 8 man set up.  Maybe two branches of the conference, one 8 man and one 11 man?

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:40 pm

I think it is a good idea, I wish the NIYTF (3-5th grade league) around here would go strictly 7-7 and keep kids interested instead of burning kids out due to lack of playing time or overexposure.
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wilky on Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:16 pm

I'm not arguing but I am curious, what are the lineman to do? just play a different sport until HS?

force them more into soccer or baseball, (or xbox), id think.

wilky
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:50 pm

wilky wrote:I'm not arguing but I am curious, what are the lineman to do? just play a different sport until HS?

Let the linemen just play regular flag football. I think they would benefit from running and agility. Probably make them quicker and faster linemen in the future in my opinion.

I have always thought anything before 5th grade is way too early and 5th is too early for some kids. The sport is losing kids at a very rapid rate and the biggest problem I see is kids getting burned out before they get to high school. When I played Pee Wee we had 2 practices a week (Tues and Thurs) and Lightweight and Heavyweight games on Sunday. Some teams now practice 5 or 6 days a week along with a game. Couple that with some poor coaching and you get a recipe for kids not wanting to play.

When my son gets old enough (he's 6 weeks old now) I will not let him play until 5th grade if he is ready (developmentally)n and maybe even later.
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:33 am

More than half of my teammates never played football before high school.

We had to learn everything from how to insert pads into pants and how to get into a three-point stance.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:54 am

We should eliminate youth sports altogether IMO.

But, then how would their parents feel better about themselves, or where would they pawn their kids off on other people to raise them?
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:27 am

I would not go that far. I'm Facebook friends with some of my little league coaches and managers, they've met my kids. We don't talk about games/titles, but instead of about the fun and friends.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:33 am

crusader wrote:I would not go that far. I'm Facebook friends with some of my little league coaches and managers, they've met my kids. We don't talk about games/titles, but instead of about the fun and friends.
There is a vast difference between the youth sports you and I participated in and what kids are doing today.

Do you really think your daughters' youth experiences were the same as yours? I mean, were you in a youth program 10-12 months out of the year for one sport as a kid?
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:48 am

I played soccer, baseball, basketball and track in grade school ... they did all have distinct seasons. But if I could have played baseball year round, I would have.

Twin A asked B yesterday, "Do you miss soccer?"

She does terribly.

crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:37 pm

I know one twin has health issues, but refresh me, why isn't the other still playing?
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:38 pm

Broke her back freshman year playing goalie.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:43 pm

And while she knew a position change was in her future, she was happy to do that.

Starting goalie is the U18 IL US Olympic Development Team keeper ...
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:37 pm

center wrote:
19delta wrote:

There will be a lot of schools taking a look at this set up and seeing how it works.  I can tell you it has the interest of some in our community. 

f you have some success with it you will see it all over the place.  if it doesn't make an impact at least you tried something.

Even if this does work , I can see the NUIC eventually moving at least a portion of the schools to an 8 man set up.  Maybe two branches of the conference, one 8 man and one 11 man?

I think that 8 man/11 man discussion has probably already taken place, at least informally.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:39 pm

dusty7 wrote:
wilky wrote:I'm not arguing but I am curious, what are the lineman to do? just play a different sport until HS?

Let the linemen just play regular flag football.  I think they would benefit from running and agility.  Probably make them quicker and faster linemen in the future in my opinion.  

I have always thought anything before 5th grade is way too early and 5th is too early for some kids.  The sport is losing kids at a very rapid rate and the biggest problem I see is kids getting burned out before they get to high school.  When I played Pee Wee we had 2 practices a week (Tues and Thurs) and Lightweight and Heavyweight games on Sunday.  Some teams now practice 5 or 6 days a week along with a game.  Couple that with some poor coaching and you get a recipe for kids not wanting to play.  

When my son gets old enough (he's 6 weeks old now) I will not let him play until 5th grade if he is ready (developmentally)n and maybe even later.  

My understanding is that is what they are going to do with the big kids...they will just get to go out there and play 7 on 7 or flag football with the other kids.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top