Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fat man challenge

+29
OldTitan
Tanglefoot_Jones
Coach53
general maximus
Horsefeather
crusader
guerin
Ghengis Khan
OSUBucks
19delta
moxy
center
TexFB
jim beam
pff
4a(6afornet)north
tincup1215
Teetime
net
BirdWatcher
leatherneck02
khalfie
newcom
Head Idiot
ging
wolverine55
firdog
wilky
33 posters

Page 7 of 34 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20 ... 34  Next

Go down

fat man challenge - Page 7 Empty Re: fat man challenge

Post by pff Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:09 am

228.4 today...... Working out with personal trainer 2x week for a hour... $270 month but I justify it for right now. Alcohol free for 90 days also... I just feel a lot better overall. Lots of fruit and vegges.
pff
pff
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:17 am

Still raining in TN. Haven't run or sam since I came don last Thursday. I feel the "Tennessee 10" creeping back on.... ;(

Headed to Texas tomorrow to see BirdWatcher Jr and his bride. Supposed to be in the 80's there. Might get a run or two in....

Douche
Douche

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pff Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:01 am

230....still working out with trainer 2 hours week. Doing cardio 3-4 days week. Lifting weights 2x week..... Just finished 2 full moth of trainer.

Results so far:

1. Weight....252 begin..... 238 now
2. Body fat.....33.2%begin....29.1% now
3. Waist .....47"begin......41" now
4. Biceps....she measured,I forgot... Will add later
5. Chest.....n/a
6. Thigh.....n/a
7. Mile... 14:22 begin......11:10..jogged all of it @ 5.5-5.7mph
8. Plank position.....24 start......1:06 now
9 Push-ups.....4 start...... 25 now

Overall very happy with results,gained 1# this month,body fat dropped .5%....goal is 22-24%
No booze 100+ days.....been working hard. I'm slowly getting there.
pff
pff
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm still in the 260 range, which disappoints me a bit as I've really worked out hard the last month since our football season ended. Still, 260 has me 73 pounds down from my highest, around 60 down since late November of last year, and 49 down since New Year's.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by #35 Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:29 pm

Hopping back aboard after a disasterous weekend in Champaign.
More to come later.

Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by #35 Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:52 am

Here's a link to a seperate Blog Entry about my disasterous weekend, and staring at a ceiling. That was the trigger for this.

I had once been in this challenge a few years ago, and for the life of me I can't remember how much I weighed. It certainly wasn't this.

Current Weight: 337.4 (according to a Love's Truck Stop restroom scale) (I'm 5'7 1/2")
First Goal Weight: 300 (January 1 seems possible)
Ultimate Goal: 180

I've never leveled out at any point in my life, just an uphill climb. All I remember about past weights was that I was 270 when I graduated high school in 2005. At this rate, I'll have an A&E special on me in 25 years if I'm not dead by then.

Obviously a change in eating habits is needed. I haven't gone to a doctor or anything because I know I'm going to get that deer-in-headlights look from him, and perhaps a pained throat from him choking me. Rather than dish out hundreds of dollars (due to my tight budget) to see someone, I'll try a few things of my own (as my job is part-time with no extras).

I'm gonna cut fast food. I've had runs without it, but a recent time crunch blew this all out of whack. It's put a hole in my wallet, that's for sure. Much of this comes from the many travels I go on when covering games for my website. I have thought of substituting this with a sack lunch of a sandwich (turkey/cheese, ham/cheese, etc.) and a bottle of water.

However, I have told myself that I'm going to stay home until I get down to 300 (I'm still going to write my irritating columns). No covering games or anything like until the numbers fall to 300. I kinda think this is going to help me, as the more games I cover the more "alive" my writing career will be. I need some kind of motivation.

I am also trying to cut back on soda pop. This is hard because I've lived off the stuff for a long time. Saturday at work, I switched from my usual 2 cups of 32 oz. pop to 1 cup of 32 oz. water. Not a great switch, but a start. Just a matter of keeping it up from here on out. The belief with pop was that it had caffeine to keep me going. It has since backfired on me. I could drink 4 cups of 32 oz. pop at work and still feel tired when I got home.

As far as eating goes, I have rarely stuck to a 3-meal format. Breakfast has been non-existent despite the fact that I have 7 boxes of cereal in my cupboard (I live alone). I can't eat breakfast because I don't get up at breakfast-time. That's a foolish belief, the more I think of it. So regardless of when I wake up, I'll eat my breakfast - even if it's 4 p.m. This should prevent any mega-lunches or mega-dinners. Now it's just getting up in time to eat it. Also an issue is sleep, as I tend to stay in bed for too long, not having the gumption to get out of it. I wonder if keeping a timed schedule helps.

Changing the eating alone won't help. I got to "Do More" also.

This is the worst time of the year for exercising (wintery and cold). But I fixed up my basement to create an indoor running course. So many laps equals one mile. I will always have this image problem with fat me running in public, and that's why I refuse to do that.

Walking, however, is another story. Here in town, we have a small mall that many older people walk around in the morning. But it is still public; I feel like I'm at church ("Why haven't you walked lately?"), and it kinda bothers me. So I think I'll start at my local community college, and walk its 4 levels of hallways (no one there knows me, I don't feel like I'm at church, and my professors have long since forgotten me).

Walking alone ain't gonna do. I have taken over my dad's membership at the Anytime Fitness in RF, and I didn't know quite what to do there other than ride the bike and walk the treadmill. I went Saturday after work and hopped on one of those bike machines with the back rest. Decided to take it easy and go 10 minutes on it at level 3 of 20. The thing that amazed me was that the machine there displayed that I only burned 60 calories. I was cracking up a sweat by the 8th minute. I took a 5 minute break after that to take in this fact. Then I spent one minute on the elliptical (a bad experience when it tells me to "stride faster"). Then another 5 minutes on the bike before turning in. Considering that I had only been in there to look at the machines, and the last real "workout" I had was in senior PE class 7 years ago, 15 minutes was enough for starters. Tomorrow will be 20.

That's all I've got at this time. But I'll close with something very personal to me.

I've chronicled quite a bit about my struggles with conversation, which has led to my struggles with love. Throughout high school, I always wanted to date someone and take a girl to Homecoming or Prom. When I went 0-for-8 it really disappointed me. I think a lot of it was because I looked like a liability with my size. I loved quite a few girls in high school, but I couldn't quite secure anything. On my drive back from Champaign this weekend, the song "All My Life" by K-Ci and Jojo played on the radio. This was the popular slow-dance song from when I was in middle school. The thought of the two girls that I consider my true loves whirled around in my mind as this song was playing - I had enough in me as far as who I was to get their attention, but I think it was what I was that made the difference in whether I won them over or not.

I can't fix my autism. But I can fix my health. And I can't aim high for the same girls I loved in high school (since married with kids), but I feel I can aim elsewhere with success once I get rid of all this baggage.

Any advice is welcome.

Cody

Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:18 am

Are you drinking full-powered (sugared) pop? That's a killer. I drink alot of soda, but always Diet Coke or Diet Dew. Same caffeine, no calories.

I believe in exercise, otherwise I wouldn't be swimming/running like I do, but you'll never be able to burn off the calories like you need to. For instance, for me a 7-mile run is about 1000 calories burned. Two donuts can be about 1000 calories. So the key is to really, really watch the intake, and just do the exercise for the health of it.

Good luck Cody. I'm back on too... the Tennessee Ten pounds, plus another Texas Ten has put me 20 pounds over where I was this summer.

Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by pff Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:49 am

Cody..... Trust me.... If I can do it,and I've lost 90+ lbs 2x in last 3 years. ...diabetes was my initial motivation I drove my A1C number into low 4's, even though I slowly crept my back over 315 pounds. I am 6'2" so I think I'll never see the 100's again.... I wanted to be 225 by my birthday but 230.2 this morning. The boys and I usher church at 10:30.... Then I told them I want Togo to the gym and lift..... I have never lifted weights in my life until 2 weeks ago. I have had 4 back surgeries and have fused discs L3-4.... So I really let my core get weak In the last 15 years since the 1st surgery. I've also had surgery compound fracture of left elbow. I do have limitations due to these injuries,but starting out very slow,I have improved the strength i my core and arms. I also try to do 5 hours cardio a week. Been jogging on treadmill. Elliptical and bike are also great. Documentation is motivation for me. If I can see results in a month span I'm very motivated for the next month. I cut all pop,beer,was drinking almost a gallon of diet green tea,which I cut out as well. I am still making juice bacause I wasn't eating enough vegetables. Keep reading/Internet searching till you find what works for you.... Good Luck and post results even if you think it should be better..... Turning fat into muscle takes a long,long time

Last edited by pff on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
pff
pff
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by center Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:11 am

My advice is to take it slow, very slow.

Slow changes in diet, slow progress with exercise. Many bigger people try to run and do a lot of impact exercise and it backfires.

You are better off losing a litte weight that you can keep off than losing a lot and gaining all and more back.

Weight loss is more about eating than exercising. Learn to use a calorie and exercise tracker like my fitness pal and it will become more of a science fot you.

Good luck.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:44 pm

First of all, good luck to you #35, I'm not much taller than you and was at 333 when I was at my highest. I've reached 250 before, but an hanging out in the 260 range now. The best piece of advice you've gotten so far is that you have to find what works best for you. I break several of the "rules" experts will give you, but it works best for me. For example, I weigh in every morning and at least once during the rest of the day. Many will tell you you shouldn't do this, but for me I need to do it to keep focus. I found that I lost focus when only weighing in 2-3 times a week.

In terms of the running/walking, I used to hate it for the reasons you mentioned. The big thing is to keep yourself going and set goals in terms of both distance and time. I started running again around two years ago and the first time I went, I only made it a quarter mile before I had to stop. The old me would have been so embarrased I would have quit; the new me decided to make it a goal to get to a 1/3 of a mile, then a 1/2 mile and keep going from there.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by #35 Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:58 am

Thanks all for the advice.

BW, I have heard about how switching to diet pop helps. I just gotta get the texture part of my tongue to like it.

I actually had breakfast this morning (Cheerios/2% milk, OJ), had a packaged brownie and a can of Pepsi for lunch and a Banquet TV dinner. All added up to about 1,300 calories for the day. According to an online calculator, my body burns 2,890 calories in a day. The one can of regular Pepsi is an accomplishment. The brownie and TV dinner, I don't know.

The Cheerios box gave a column of nutrition facts with skim milk. There is a sale at my Walgreens this week on milk, and this may be an idea to change -- this is the frugal side of me talking.

After playing around with the calorie calculator, it gives a suggestion that the recommended pounds lost/week be 2. Two pounds would put 300 at 3/11/13.

Weighed myself when I woke up to 335 on my questionable needle scale. Walked around the basement for an hour and lost count of my laps (probably a mile's worth). Counted my trip to the laundrymat late at night as aerobics, whipping wrinkles out of each article of clothing after wash and after dry, soring up my arms a bit. Then went to the fitness place - it's 3 a.m. and no one else is there - and spent 15 minutes on the bike, slowly paced around the room for 3 minutes, and another 15 minutes on the bike.

I seemed to last a little longer without telling myself to stop this time around. The place has a rock station playing in the background, but I popped my Stan Getz CD in my walkman to use on the bike. The 50s smooth jazz music seemed to motivate me a little bit as my thoughts wandered into fantasy - even closing my eyes and pretending to sleep at times with my legs still moving. For a moment I tried not to look at the clock, as you can set your workout time and it counts down for you on the screen. That may be a goal for next time. I work tonight and plan on going back when I get off for another 15 minutes.

Why just 15 minutes? I went back home and the questionable needle scale read 330. While this number sounds fantastic, I don't think this is an accurate read (or maybe it is?). There's gotta be some water weight factor in this as well. As Center stated earlier, I shouldn't go all gung-ho on this but pace myself. 7 pounds since Friday afternoon doesn't seem right, but maybe it is. I don't know, so I'm gonna be cautious.

BTW the scale at the fitness place is broke and I left a note there.

Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:03 am

#35 wrote:BW, I have heard about how switching to diet pop helps. I just gotta get the texture part of my tongue to like it.

I don't think there's any way you can lose weight and still drink regular soda. Try Crystal Lite. Even the Walmart brand tastes good. And you can mix it with vodka. Twisted Evil

And keep posting here. We ARE reading your posts and will continue to give advice. Just knowing that several very large guys are keeping an eye on your progress will help immensely.

Weigh every day, and log it here: https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet
The guy who wrote the Hacker's Diet is the guy who invented AutoCad. His rolling average algorithm takes into account fluctuation in water weight, etc.

Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghengis Khan Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Good luck #35! Like BW said we are reading your posts and rooting for you. Don't let a bad meal or even a bad day discourage you, just use it as motivation to keep improving.

Ghengis Khan
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:40 pm

For #35's benefit, here's how my first day back on the diet looks:

Up at 6:00, start the Maple Sugar Instant Oatmeal with raisin the micro, start brewing 34 ounces of coffee (with milk). Small box of raisins in the oatmeal. 304 calories, according to fatsecret.com dietary log

9'ish - Nature Valley Crunchy granola bars (2) - 190 calories

Out of lettuce, drove to town so I could have a lettuce salad with leftover turkey, onions and some cheese. Low fat 1000 Island. - 157 calories

3'ish - medium banana 105 calories

6:00 dinner, Mrs BW had breakfast out, brought home leftover biscuits & gravy. Not exactly "diet" food, but tasty. 508 calories

So, I'm at 1264 calories, looking around for a nice +/-200 cal snack to end the day.

I shoot for 1800 calories per day (plus 500 calories of exercise) to lose 2-3 lbs per week.

Writing down what you eat, even if you're not "dieting", has been proven to cause weight loss because we self-regulate when we know we're logging our food.

Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by net Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:52 pm

BirdWatcher wrote: Try Crystal Lite. Even the Walmart brand tastes good. And you can mix it with vodka. Twisted Evil

is this message intended for anyone else?
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:53 pm

good luck cody!
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:26 am

Down 4.4 lbs since yesterday. Really? Probably not, but that's what the scale said, so I wrote it down. More likely I had a salty meal two days ago which inflated my Monday weigh-in. That's the way it goes.... take the good with the bad and power on...

To celebrate, I think I'll eat EXACTLY the same stuff today as yesterday.. at least until dinner. In Tim Ferris' 4-Hour Body plan he recommends picking out 4-6 meals and repeating them ad nauseum.

What did you consume yesterday, Cody?

Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:45 am

I need to get back on board. Was regularly weighing 292 during football this year. This is the first year, ever, that I haven't lost 10-25lbs during football season.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by #35 Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:32 pm

BirdWatcher wrote:What did you consume yesterday, Cody?

It's 12:30 and I just woke up ... Fell asleep at around 3:30 this morning after 15 minutes on the bike. Went immediately to the computer to check the boards, mail, Facebook, etc.

Yesterday was rough since it was my first real try at things on a work night (I work from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. at Shell).

Woke up late and forgot breakfast cereal, instead I had a turkey/cheese sandwich (four slices turkey, two slices cheese on two pieces of wheat bread). Washed it down with a can of Dr. Pepper.

Didn't eat anything until work: whole bag of Sun Chips as the shift went on, two nutty bars. Wound up with 64 ounces of Diet Pepsi for the duration of the shift. (On any other day that I feel hungry at work, I would have grabbed the sour cream and onion Lays instead). This was also my first shift switching from regular pop to diet.

Two small burritos for dinner, washed down with a glass of orange juice.

"Breakfast": 590
"Lunch": 2160
Dinner: 640

3390 for the day. While this is not good, it is telling me what NOT to do. Needless to say, lunch killed me. To think that if I didn't switch to diet pop, I'd measure my lunch at 800 more calories. A wake-up call, you bet! Part of the reason why I don't carry much money with me (this was a discussion on here a long time ago IIRC) is so that I wouldn't spree on whatever I was hungry for. Turned out I had my checkbook with me at work. So I'll start ditching the checkbook; or just pre-write it for a small amount before I go.

Lunch can obviously be corrected. By switching to the usual breakfast, I can knock yesterday's breakfast count in half. Dinner could pretty much be determined by the count up to that point, as long as the meal is not ridiculously high.

So I'm now off for "breakfast," Cheerios/milk and a glass of OJ.
Can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup for lunch maybe
Who knows what for dinner

Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:06 pm

Ya, "lunch" killed ya....

Do you have a smartphone? Get the app that zaps the UPC code on your food and logs it in FatSecret.com automagically.... Not sure your metabolic rate, but if you're only going to eat three meals (6 is better, fires the furnace more often) take your target cals and divide by 3. So for me, at 1800 cals, I would shoot for 600 calories per meal.... and stick to it.

Looking forward to your report for tomorrow.

Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by #35 Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:37 pm

Yesterday's Rundown:

Breakfast - Cheerios/skim milk and OJ (250)
Lunch - Store-brand Chicken Noodle Soup/OJ (285)
Dinner - Banquet TV Dinner of a charbroiled patty with cheese, mashed potatoes, "Fit 'n Active" kool-aid (285)
Also had a half-can of Diet Dr. Pepper somewhere in the day
TOTAL: 820

That doesn't seem like much, but otherwise I didn't feel hungry for anything else. I'm almost worried that I'm fasting - which is proven not to help. I don't know whether to eat more, such as a PB/J sandwich or something.

Exercise was a little bit increased:
Walked laps indoors and put my winter coat on to see if it helped any - 1:13.53 (or, the entirity of Daft Punk's "Homework" album)
Level 20 of 20 on the exercise bike - 20:00
Treadmill at 2.5 mph with a tiny incline - 5:00

I'm trying to find some more things to do instead of the bike, which I think I maxed out. I've always had strong quads from riding my bicycle a lot when I was younger (including a one-way trip from Sterling to Geneseo 10 years ago, a story forever etched in RF Softball lore). This treadmill they have there has quite a few options to it which I'll try at some point.

My needle scale read 327 this morning.

Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:49 pm

I was up a pound today. No biggie. Mt trend line is still going south....

DO NOT STARVE yourself. Your body is highly adaptable, and if it thinks you're in a "concentration camp" scenario, will save all excess calories as fat.

Find out your Base Metabolic Rate (what you burn just to sit & breathe). I'm thinking you're around 2800 or so... subtract 500 and that's your goal for calories CONSUMED. Add another 500 calories by exercise, for a net deficit of 1000 and you'll lose 2-3 lbs per week, which should be your goal. 3 per week in the early stages, but 2/week once you get below 300. Doing the math then , you gotta figure this is a 60+ week journey.

You didn't get to 300 lbs overnight, you won't get to 150 overnight either.

Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by #35 Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:04 pm

My BMR is 2,910 as of being 327. That's 2,410 for consumption, 1,910 after exercise.

Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by #35 Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:55 pm

Also made the announcement on my website official.

Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:51 pm

#35 wrote:My BMR is 2,910 as of being 327. That's 2,410 for consumption, 1,910 after exercise.

So, try 2300 on the eats... see if you still feel hungry.

Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 34 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20 ... 34  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum